Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Will I Ever Get It Done...

Does anyone out there every say "I will do that when..." That seems to be my line these days. "I will get in an exercise routine when we get into our house" "I will make healthier dinners when we have moved out", "I will clean the house when we move our stuff out", "I will start making lunches for Grant and I when we live with mom and dad".... oh and so many more. What is wrong with me? what makes me think I will do any of this when... if I can't make myself do any of it right now. Is there anyone out there that has some motivating words for me to get my butt in gear?

6 comments:

Mrs. JM said...

don't be so hard on yourself amy!

take it one day at a time. set realistic goals. you can't do it all right at once. once one thing becomes a habit and part of your lifestyle, add another. if you make a promise to yourself ... "i'll make healthy dinners every night" ... and then break the promise, you will not trust yourself. so you set yourself up for failure. instead, committ to four nights a week. some could be leftovers. it's easier to follow through when the task is bearable.

on the flip side, you have to give yourself credit when you keep your promise. "be more active." even if you exercise just one day this week, it's worthy of your praise. it's better than not at all.

some is always better than none.

and last of all, for me, i try to always remember that the time is passing no matter what so i need to make the best of it. if i fall, i stand back up as quickly as possible. giving up is not an option.

baby steps ... and chill out.

Alayna said...

Sister, you are preaching to the choir! I have that same problem! I keep saying, "I will start my diet after..." and so on and so forth. I think it's just human nature. But let me just tell you this...I think you are amazing just the way you are...no changes needed! Just tell Grant to wake up earlier and fix his own lunch... Kidding!

P.S. I like Emily's advice. I think I will take that advice too!

tiare said...

amen to you amy and alayna! i think we all suffer from the "i'll do it later" mentality! seriously!!! when i am successful it's because i just do it. right then. right there. like the first person that commented, pretty soon it becomes a habit. when i do fall off the wagon (and i know it will happen because i'm not perfect)i just start over. this may seem like an oversimplified solution, but it's not. it's hard. every day is hard. you are not alone!

Becky and Bryce said...

Oh Amy you are amazing. Ohhhhh how I miss you! Instead of thinking about what you haven't done. DANG GIRL look at all that you HAVE!!!!! You're inspiring! Love ya!

jessi said...

This may sound really weird, but one thing that has helped me lately is saying to myself- We are commanded to be perfect (Matt. 5:48: “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”) And then I think to myself, I can do it, I really can at least TRY to be perfect and excersize, eat healthy, clean the house, etc. It is a quest we all have to at least try to do. That is why we are here, to at least try! (And don't get down on yourself if you slip up, we all slip up! But just start today to really put forth an effort to TRY, I think that is what Heavenly Father expects of us)
The funny thing about this is that when I do try to do all the things I know I should do (like clean, eat healthy, excersize,) I feel so much better about myself, and it makes me want to do it more

Marianne and Matt said...

Oh my dearest Amy. Who doesn't have that problem. Everyone has had great advice. I really agree with Emily though and the lifestyle changes. It's been three years and I am still not perfect at making Matt's lunches or a healthy dinner EVERY night. Give yourself credit for at least wanting to do those things....many wives don't ever make lunch or dinner for their husbands. You really are just perfect to me, and all those who really know you. Now that I have given you my advice on a healthy lifestyle, I need to go finish eating the cake we made today:)