Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chandler




Here are the details...

Chandler was born on July 8th at 2:43 am weighing 6.4 lbs. He wasn't breathing so 2 different respiratory teams were called in to work on him. After what seemed like an eternity they got some color in him and a little crying. I was able to hold him for about 1 minute before Grant and the doctors took him down to be put on the C-pap machine. Chandler was doing some funky grunting that had the doctors worried so chest ex rays were done and thankfully they ruled out any lung issues.

After a couple hours of sleep I called the nurse to see how he was, she brought him in immediately. After a few minutes with him she came back and said the pediatrician wanted him back. The pediatrician then came in and told me that his blood sugar levels were too low so he would need to be in the NICU. He also informed me that he would need to stay there for a week to 3 weeks. I held it together until the doctor left and then fell apart. I just wanted to hold my little baby and now I had to go see him with all kinds of wires and tubs and the worst of all an IV.

Grant and I got pretty use to ringing the door bell of the NICU and going to our little corner with little Chandler for feedings and just to visit. We became close to many nurses and learned a lot. Everyday Chandler had a new goal, the first was to eat 10 ml of formula by mouth the next feeding was 20ml and so on. If he didn't meet each goal they would have to put a feeding tube in so we were always very happy when he proved the doctor wrong and reached every goal that he was given him. Once he was meeting his goals they started to turn the IV down until it was turned completely off and then my favorite day when it was removed completely!

Chandler left the hospital and the NICU on July 13, around 10:30 am. He came home weighing 5.12lbs, although it was less then he came in to this world weighing it was more than the 5.8lbs he had drooped down to. At Chandlers 2 days out of the NICU check up he weighed 5.14lbs and then at his 2 week check up he weighed in at 7.8lbs (yes that is a big jump, he came from us of course he is a good eater) so we are so happy he is eating and gaining weight as he should be.

He is the joy of our lives, I have loved watching him change each day and watching Grant be a father!

11 comments:

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

Sorry for sweet baby Chandler's rocky start, but you will learn about your baby, he is a fighter! You are a great mama and he is one lucky boy!

Kylen and Adrienne said...

So glad he's doing so well. What a crazy experience!

Wendi and Eric said...

Chander is so adorable! Please,give him a daily dose of Auntie Wendi kisses. Love you guys.

dixie smith said...

i had no idea he had to stay at the hospital. i'm so glad everything's better now. congrats again on the new baby. you guys are going to be awesome parents!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you got him out early - what a cutey pie!! He has such a sweet personality!

jessi said...

so cute!!!

Kelley Rae said...

Congratulations on a beautiful baby boy. What a terrible ordeal to have to go through, I'm so glad he is home, happy, and healthy! Can't wait to meet him!

Alayna said...

I find it intriguing that he looks a lot like you in the first picture but just like Grant in the second. I can't see anything past the horrible blanket on the third picture, so will just keep those comments to myself.

Love ya! Hopefully we can chat sometime soon!

Becky and Bryce said...

I love him, what a hard road you went down. I cried while reading your post because I could totally empathize with you. (Other then the pre-clampsia it sounded just like my little Josh) It's the worst feeling to be alone for the first time in 9 months! I'm so happy he's doing so well now. My Aunt had told me you had the baby but not that there was any complications. I've been such a bad blogger I had no idea. I'm so happy for you and your cute darling perfect little family!!!!

DeVries Family said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
When can I come see him???
I REALLY want to smell him...
He's Gorgeous!!!!

Marianne and Matt said...

Your such a cute little family. I just love that little guy already. Daniel keeps asking me...if your baby is big yet. I say no, and he seems disappointed. He is ready to run around with him already.