Sunday, October 19, 2008

Celiacs or Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Many of you know I have always seemed to be sick. Always having an upset stomach and other strange things wrong with me. Well about a year ago I was complaining about how I felt and one of the ladies I work with told me that I should look in to getting checked for Celiacs. I had never heard of Celiacs so I just tucked that little bit of knowledge in the back of my brain and went on with life as normal. Well about 6 months later our work had people visit so they brought in pizza, after that I had made pasta salad for dinner and the next morning again for our visitors they brought in breakfast (French toast). By the end of these two days I was feeling so sick I could barely function. Not only did I have the normal stomach ache and numb hands and feet but I felt exhausted and had no motivation to do anything. At this point I decided to take that nice little bit of information about Celiacs out and do something with it. I started researching it and found that I had a lot of the symptoms. I decided that I would do an experiment, who doesn't like an experiment. Well I ate gluten free for 2 weeks and felt great. My energy was back, my stomach ache was gone and I was feeling great. It was the big family trip to Bear Lake that seemed to ruin all of that. I decided while up there to again experiment by eating a hamburger and the bun(I know I am such a rebel). Of course I was sicker then a dog. For me this confirmed it I must have Celiacs. I set a doctors apt up to go get tested. That appointment was months away so I decided I would eat gluten free till then. So how many of you think I really did this? Thanks for those that thought I could but you are wrong. Gluten is in everything all my favorite foods. It is in all pastas, breads, most soups, sauces, and anything else that sounds good to eat. I was pretty much on a roller coaster of eating gluten free and then not eating gluten. So when I finally went to the doctor I had convinced myself that I most likely didn't have Celiacs and was just screwed up. Well the doctor agreed that there was a chance I might have Celiacs but I could also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Most people have heard of this and so had I so I wasn't to surprised. He tested me for Celiacs and said if the results come back at all positive he will do more tests but if not then I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. He gave me a sheet on the food I can eat and can't eat if I have irritable Bowel Syndrome, Grant and I read it and were shocked. I honestly don't get it. If I have Celiacs I can't eat anything with floor or wheat in it(all my favorite foods) but if I have irritable bowel Syndrome I can't eat anything good for me. Here is the list the doctor gave me......

Foods to avoid
Anything Containing milk Products
Fruits/Fresh fruit juices
Spices and seasonings
Dietetic beverages and foods
Salads
Salad dressings
Vegetables, particularly fresh veggies
Red meats
Nuts, peanuts, popcorn, corn
foods containing high fiber/bran
gravies and sauces
whole grain/multi-grain breads

Yes, you did read right that list of foods to avoid did include fruits and veggies, salads, & grains. The funny thing is that the list of foods I can eat had things like Pasta, Cinnamon Buns, waffles, rolls, and pancakes. What are they thinking if I was to eat like that I would be 400lbs in no time and have no nutrition in me. I should be getting my results soon but I am so torn I just want to know what to do to fix how I am feeling but if that means I have to cut out fruit and veggies I think I will have a hard time. As much as I love it I would rather cut out gluten:)

4 comments:

Alayna said...

Wow...that sucks major rocks! I hope everything works out ok. I am glad you are finally getting some sort of answer though. Dieting blows! And restrictions are just that much worse!

Wendi and Eric said...

Eric has the same thing. But we have not yet found a food pattern causing the upset. Good luck.

Mike and Nickie said...

I understand the satisfaction there is for giving a "problem" a name. I hope for your appetite sake things get figured out. If not sounds like Pancake Family Dinners from now on. Sounds good to me! Love you

DeVries Family said...

Oh Amy! You POOR girl!!! We hope you figure this all out soon! It stinks to have a sick stomach! Good luck!